Editorial: A thank-you message from the editors
We want to take a moment to express our sincerest thanks to you, our customers, who continue to read The Daily Courier. We especially want to thank the more than 1,000 readers who have donated money to help us continue reporting at a time when our supporting local businesses are closed down or operating on modified business models and are unable to advertise.
We are honored and humbled by the donations given to us from so many of you, and the kind words of support you have shared.
As community journalists, we receive daily feedback about our stories in the form of comments that both commend and criticize our coverage. And like most news outlets, the sharpest, loudest voices are from the vocal, critical minority when they see something they disagree with or that offends them. We accept and expect this. What we didn’t expect over these past few weeks is the overwhelming flood of community support from everyday readers included in the comments section of our donation form.
The donations themselves represent the silent majority of readers who appreciate the paper and understand its value and the role it plays in their lives and in the community. But the added words of encouragement and support were enough to bring some of us in the newsroom to tears.
• “We appreciate your role to keep our community together and informed. We need you. We can get national news on TV but your information tells us who and what we are as a functioning town. Thank you.”
• “Thank you for the important job you continue to do in these challenging times.”
• “Thanks for a good local paper. Happy that you started to charge for online even though I have to pay it! We want to see you succeed!”
• “Your work is critical for our communities. Without the Courier, we’d have virtually no unbiased local news source and we would lose a lot of our ability to hold our officials accountable, which is vital in a democracy. Thank you to everyone at the Courier for all the excellent and important work you do.”
• “A daily newspaper — our daily newspaper — is vital. People need to be informed and have a free forum to voice opinions. I find reading the paper comforting, especially since our wonderful library is closed.”
• “Thanks for hanging in there, doing a great and necessary job.”
• “You are an excellent and vital source of local journalism with integrity and principle. Thanks for your special service to the community during this crisis.”
We are so grateful for these and the hundreds of other sentiments of support coming in daily. They mean more than you might know.
You choose us for your local news source, and we pledge to do all we can to continue to bring you the latest area news in the printed Courier five days a week and online at dCourier.com every day.
We also want to give a heartfelt thank-you to our employees who have been working so hard to find and deliver the news you need now. Their dedication is astonishing, and deeply appreciated.
Finally, we wish to thank the local health care workers, nurses, doctors, hospital crews, law enforcement officers, firefighters and everyone on the front lines fighting the COVID-19 pandemic. We also thank the local essential businesses doing their best to continue to serve all of us. And we thank the many residents who are lifting and helping their neighbors during these trying times.
May you and your families stay safe and healthy.
If you’d like to support local journalism during the pandemic, visit: dcourier.com/donate
Click Below to: