Originally Published: September 9, 2018 9:49 a.m.
KINGMAN, Ariz. — A judge has set a trial date for a man charged with killing a Bullhead City girl four years ago.
Justin James Rector is set to be tried on first-degree murder, kidnapping, child abuse and abandonment of a body in late April.
A Mohave County judge set the trial date Friday over the objection of Rector's attorney.
Authorities say 8-year-old Isabella Grogan-Cannella had been strangled in September 2014. Her partially clothed body was found in a shallow grave near her home.
The prosecutor had urged the judge to schedule the trial to ensure the rights of the victims. He accused the defense attorney of being uncooperative in setting up interviews.
Rector's attorney denied the allegation.
More like this story
- Court OKs move to drop death penalty in Arizona girl's murder
- Man charged with killing 8-year-old Arizona girl pleads guilty
- Remembering 8-year-old Bella: Namesake sign raised over Bella's Place near Williams
- After 4 years, child kidnap, rape and murder case still delayed
- Man seeks to represent himself in alleged kidnapping, murder of 8-year-old girl