Originally Published: September 1, 2018 4:46 p.m.
TUBA CITY, Ariz. TUBA CITY — Chino Valley’s football team bounced back nicely from a blowout loss to Valley Christian last week in Flagstaff by taking out its frustrations on Tuba City Friday night.
In the Cougars’ 43-6 win over the Warriors in a 3A contest, senior running back Michael Paulus led the way, scoring three touchdowns, including two on the ground and one on a punt return. He also kicked two PATs.
Tailbacks Trevor Gianfrancesco and Ty Bassett chipped in with a rushing TD apiece.
In the passing game, Chino Valley junior quarterback Tyler Carey threw a TD pass to wideout Elijah Scordato. Scordato and tight end J.R. Willingham each hauled in a 2-point conversion reception.
Chino Valley (1-1 overall record) will play host to county rival Camp Verde for its home opener at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 7, on its campus field.
Tuba City (0-2) will play its third consecutive home game this week. The Warriors face Hopi at 7 p.m. Sept. 7.
Doug Cook is a sports reporter for The Daily Courier. Follow him on Twitter at @dougout_dc. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 928-445-3333, ext. 2039.
More like this story
- Valley Christian runs away in 2nd half, mauls Cougars 42-13 at Walkup Skydome
- Prep Football: Chino Valley bounces back, blanks North Pointe Prep
- Chino Valley falls to Tuba City; Bagdad cruises to 4-0 mark
- Prep Football: Tuba City hands Cougars 1st loss of season
- Prep Football Previews: Badgers come home in search of getting back to .500 vs. winless O'Connor