Photo by Les Stukenberg.
A 16-year-old girl was allegedly behind the wheel of the car that struck and seriously injured a 12-year-old boy on May 7, as he crossed Lakeshore Drive in Prescott Valley, according to Prescott Valley Police Department spokesman Jerry Ferguson.
It happened as the boy was walking across Lakeshore at Lake Valley Road at about 3 p.m. in the crosswalk.
“After striking the pedestrian and briefly stopping, the driver continued east on Lakeshore Drive,” Ferguson said. “A witness followed the vehicle to the intersection of Lakeshore Drive and Windsong Drive, and observed the vehicle pull into the parking lot at 3700 North Windsong Drive.”
Police officers contacted the driver in the parking lot. Police have not released the driver’s identity.
The boy was flown to Children’s Hospital in Phoenix, where he is being treated for his injuries and remains in critical condition.
Ferguson said no charges have yet been filed. The Yavapai County Attorney has been consulted and this incident is still under investigation, he said.
“This incident occurred as schools were dismissing for the day when vehicle and pedestrian traffic was at a maximum,” Ferguson added.
More like this story
- Police: Child struck, seriously injured, by hit-and-run driver
- Child struck, seriously injured in alleged hit-and-run crash
- Pedestrian killed in Phoenix; driver may have been impaired
- Teen with bike struck by vehicle after crossing against red light
- Prescott Valley skateboarder hit twice, trapped under vehicle