County offers walk-in clinics for back-to-school immunizations, sports physicals
You might feel like summer vacation just started, but Yavapai County Community Health Services (YCCHS) is urging parents to start thinking about back-to-school vaccinations now.
YCCHS has arranged a convenient schedule for parents to bring their children in for back-to-school shots at each of their public health locations before school begins in August. And this year, they are offering sports physicals at the same time.
Making sure children receive all of their vaccinations on time is very important, according to a news release from the county. It’s important for kids to be healthy and ready for school and for the other kids to be protected, too.
Parents will need to bring their children’s shot records, and check with their doctor to make sure the records are up to date.
In Arizona, as in most states, children starting kindergarten are required to have been immunized for Hepatitis B, DTaP (whooping cough), IPV (polio), MMR (measles, mumps and rubella), and Varicella (chicken pox).
Children, 11 and older, who are entering sixth and seventh grades, will be required to have Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) and Meningococcal vaccines for the start of the school year.
For uninsured children, there is an administration fee of $20 per child receiving vaccines. The administration fees can be waived under certain circumstances. YCCHS will bill for insurance. Parental consent is required to administer the shots to children younger than 18.
Schedule for Walk-In Clinics
• Prescott, 1090 Commerce Drive – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays, July 17, 24 and 31
• Prescott Valley, 3212 Windsong Drive, second floor – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays, July 11, 18, 25 and Aug. 1.
• Cottonwood, 10 S. Sixth Street – WIC offices – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays, July 12, 19, 26 and Aug. 2
The county will also offer sports physicals the weeks of July 16 and 23 at a cost of $24 (with a sliding fee scale offered, lower price may be available dependent on income).
To schedule an appointment for different dates and times, call 928-771-3122.
For Sports Physicals
• Bring the required physical form(s). If the school or sport coach didn’t provide you with a form, most of the public schools districts have them online. Parents must fill out the health history portion of the form.
• Have your child wear glasses or contacts if they wear them for the physical.
• The cost for the sports physical is $24, however with a sliding fee scale offered; a lower price may be available dependent on income.