Originally Published: July 7, 2018 6:30 a.m.
PHOENIX (AP) — A suspect trying to outrun police on a Phoenix freeway will recover after jumping from an overpass.
Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson says the incident occurred Friday morning after reports came in about a man with a knife hurling rocks at cars.
Officers confronted the suspect, who started running across traffic lanes on southbound I-17 at Seventh Avenue and jumped onto someone's vehicle.
Camera footage posted by KTVK-TV/KPHO-TV shows a man perched on the roof of a car surrounded by two officers.
The man then jumps off the vehicle and runs to the edge of the overpass and flips over a guardrail, falling below.
In another video, he is sprawled on his back on the street below but is able to move his head.
Police say the man's injuries are not life-threatening.
His name has not been released.
More like this story
- Police Report: Driver flips pickup on South Highway 89
- Interstate wreck claimed two from Valley
- Arizona in brief: Suspect shot after attacking officer in Phoenix
- Arizona in Brief: Police searching for driver in fatal hit-and-run of 77-year-old
- Security officer injured while trying to detain trespasser