Wildland fire in Chino Valley started by lawnmower
FD spokesperson: ‘It was a close one’
A wildland fire along the 900 block of S. Reed Road in Chino Valley burned about a third of an acre of grassland before Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority (CAFMA) crews were able to put it out Thursday, Feb. 8.
The fire was apparently stated around 2:30 p.m. by a homeowner mowing his weeds, said Rob Zazueta, spokesperson for CAFMA.
“So they were trying to do right, but they must have hit a rock or something that caused a spark and it caught the grass on fire and it just spread really quickly,” Zazueta said.
Two engines, a Battalion 6 rig and a Chino Valley Police Department patrol showed up to the home soon after the fire started.
“It was a close one,” Zazueta said. “Luckily there was no wind today. It’s just a good reminder of how dry everything is.”