Originally Published: February 7, 2018 6 a.m.
KITTERY, Maine (AP) — A Maine woman who prepared a salad says she realized after a couple of bites that her fork was stuck in a 3-inch lizard, minus the tail.
After vomiting and getting over her shock, Michelle Carr, a nurse from Kittery, said she feared she could have ingested harmful bacteria. A biologist friend believes she found a blue-bellied lizard from California.
Carr said she bought a bag of store-brand romaine lettuce at a supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on Jan. 26. The lettuce was distributed by a California company. A supermarket spokeswoman said it notified the supplier.
Carr also called the state Health Department. A spokesman said because the lettuce was packaged and shipped from another state, any investigation would be conducted by the Food and Drug Administration.
More like this story
- Restaurants calm customers, say their romaine is safe
- Farm in Yuma suspected in multi-state lettuce recall following E. coli outbreak
- CDC expands warning in E. coli outbreak from Arizona lettuce
- Lights, camera, start picking! American Pickers find Hollywood memories in Prescott home
- Salvation Army receives donated urn filled with ashes