Originally Published: August 15, 2018 5:55 p.m.
Updated as of Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:42 PM
PRESCOTT, Ariz. PRESCOTT — The Yavapai College men’s soccer team will enter the 2018 season with the No. 2 ranking in the NJCAA after finishing the 2017 campaign as a national semifinalist.
In the NJCAA Preseason National Poll, only defending national champion Tyler Junior College (Texas) is ranked higher, at No. 1. Tyler beat Yavapai, 3-2, in overtime of last year’s national semis at Mountain Valley Park Amphitheater in Prescott Valley.
The NJCAA national poll was released Wednesday afternoon.
The Roughriders will begin the 2018 season at ACCAC rival Phoenix College at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23. Their home opener is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 25, against Irvine Valley at Ken Lindley Field in Prescott.
Rounding out the Top 5 in the preseason poll are Monroe College at No. 3, ACCAC rival Pima at No. 4 and Eastern Florida State at No. 5. Arizona Western and Phoenix College both received votes in the poll.
Doug Cook is a sports reporter for The Daily Courier. Follow him on Twitter at @dougout_dc. Email him at email@example.com or call 928-445-3333, ext. 2039.
More like this story
- Storms wash out Yavapai-Irvine soccer home opener
- In 30th year, standards haven’t waned for 7-time national champion Roughriders
- Yavapai College: Soccer, volleyball teams on Top 25 polls
- Arizona teams, but no Yavapai, in preseason baseball & softball polls
- Roughrider soccer team battles to preseason tie