Originally Published: August 13, 2018 7:24 p.m.
Clear, present danger
For the moment let’s not debate whether or not Russia interfered in our 2016 presidential election and is poised to do the same or worse in November’s coming midterm elections.
Our nation faces, but is ignoring “a clear and present danger.” Consider this:
- Someone mounted a highly sophisticated and effective cyberwarfare campaign to influence the results of our 2016 presidential election.
- They penetrated the Democratic National Committee (DNC) server, stole and disseminated political emails, mounted a multi-pronged cyber warfare disinformation campaign in favor of one candidate, and more.
- Our entire intelligence community is in agreement as to the nation that is responsible.
- Recently, the special counsel indicted 12 foreign intelligence officers with details of what they did, when they did it, how they paid for it and more.
- On the same day, the U.S. Director of National Intelligence alerted the nation saying, “The warning lights are blinking red again. Today, the digital infrastructure that serves this country is literally under attack.”
- The commander in chief has not authorized or budgeted for any U.S. agency to protect our midterm elections from foreign attacks and interference.
- The House of Representatives has taken no action.
- The Senate has taken no action.
- Few if any states or localities have taken any action to protect their voter records and machines from foreign interference in the midterms.
- The November midterms are less than three months away.
What are we waiting for?!