Originally Published: November 20, 2017 6 a.m.
DETROIT (AP) — After more than a decade of making cars and SUVs — and, more recently, solar panels — Tesla Inc. wants to electrify a new type of vehicle: big trucks.
The company unveiled its new electric semitractor-trailer Thursday night near its design center in Hawthorne, California.
CEO Elon Musk said the semi is capable of traveling 500 miles (804 kilometers) on an electric charge — even with a full 80,000-pound (36,287-kilogram) load — and will cost less than a diesel semi considering fuel savings, lower maintenance and other factors.
More like this story
- SpaceX ‘Starman’ at wheel of sports car flying on new rocket
- The Latest: SpaceX launches big new rocket; lands 2 boosters
- Japanese billionaire to be first private moon flight traveler
- Space sports car now flying toward asteroid belt beyond Mars
- As Musk admits to job stress, Tesla's board may have to act