Originally Published: May 23, 2017 6 a.m.
Does your pet have an overabundance of hair? Instead of letting it turn into dust bunnies, you can have Judy Lukas, aka “Socks Judy,” transform it into a treasured heirloom… or maybe we should call it a treasured “hairloom.”
Socks Judy is a yarn spinner who takes long-haired dog or cat fur and turns it into keepsakes for pet owners. Proceeds are donated to animal rescue groups such as United Animal Friends.
Judy will be giving spinning demonstrations at UAF’s Woof Down Lunch Saturday, June 3, at the courthouse plaza in Prescott. Dog and cat lovers can bring their pets’ hair to Judy at the event. For a $40 tax-deductible donation to UAF plus a $6 postage fee, the fur will be spun into yarn, thoroughly washed, and fashioned into a one-of-a-kind teddy bear.
To participate, pet owners should collect at least 4 oz. of fur brushed or combed from cats or dogs in a plastic zip-top bag (shaved hair will not work). A sandwich bag stuffed very full will weigh about 4 oz. The teddy bear will be mailed to the pet owner a few weeks later.
More information is available at www.socksjudy.com.
To learn more about Woof Down Lunch, visit UnitedAnimalFriends.org or call 928-778-2924.
More like this story
- Spinner transforms pet hair into small teddy bears to benefit United Animal Friends
- Socks Judy coming to Woof Down Lunch
- Spinner transforms pets' hair into teddy bears to benefit UAF
- Woof Down Lunch scheduled for June 4
- United Animal Friends plans adoption event, bake sale, pet food collection, Woof Down Lunch