5 ways to give a room a makeover
Does a room in your home need an update? There are a range of projects from large to small that can help you transform any space for maximum utility and better design. Here are five great ideas.
• Update flooring. When updating your home flooring, consider some hot new trends — like turning to salvaged vintage lumber. More homeowners are including this in their remodel plans because it looks great, gives your home a mark of distinction, and is eco-friendly.
Another on-trend, low-maintenance option is cement. This versatile material can be painted or stained to give your room any look you want. Keep it simple or use stencils to give your floor an impressive design.
• Make something old new again. Turn an antique piece of furniture into something new. Paint chair legs a bright color, decoupage a tabletop, or reupholster a loveseat in a favorite fabric. Don’t have an existing piece of furniture? Hit up local yard sales or antique shops in search of the perfect find. For inspiration, visit pinterest.com.
• Modernize a fireplace. An older wood fireplace can be dirty, drafty, high maintenance — and spendy, wasting up to $200 in energy costs annually. Consider updating your hearth with a gas fireplace insert for an upgrade that can give you a return on your investment and beautify your space. Those from Heat & Glo use technology that make it possible to safely install a gas fireplace in any room of the home, and their styles range from traditional to ultramodern. To learn more, visit heatnglo.com.
• Create a statement wall. Sometimes less really is more, particularly when it comes to walls. Consider painting or papering just one wall of your room in a bold, bright color or design. This same wall may also serve as a gallery to feature smaller artwork, photographs, clocks and other keepsakes.
Before you get out the hammer and nails, plan your layout to achieve an appealing balance of colors, size and spacing.
• Overhaul lighting. It’s time to say goodbye to boring, utilitarian lighting and say hello to new fixtures that strike the right tone and create ambiance. This is one of the easiest updates that can create a big impact — whether you are inspired by rustic, quirky or classic designs. You may choose to replace overhead lighting with floor lamps, swap outdated fixtures for on-trend options like chandeliers or lantern-style pendants, or add task lighting in key areas; just be sure to test out your arrangement to ensure it’s sufficiently functional. And while you’re making these changes, remember to use energy efficient bulbs.
Whatever the scope of your project entails, you can give the rooms of your home a fresh look and eye-catching appeal.