Originally Published: July 19, 2017 6:05 a.m.
MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities have identified a pilot and his passenger who died after a small plane crashed and burned on a golf course in Mesa.
Mesa police say 53-year-old Alan Ram of Scottsdale and 22-year-old Krista Buchanan of Phoenix were the only people aboard the plane that went down late Monday afternoon at Longbow Golf Club northeast of Falcon Field Airport.
Footage from TV news helicopters showed the charred wreckage of the aircraft on the 10th fairway at the golf course.
The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Board are investigating the crash.
FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer says the Lancair Evolution plane reported mechanical trouble and was unable to reach the airport.
He says the plane crashed about a half-mile off the approach end of a runway at Falcon Field.
More like this story
- 2 who died in crash of small plane into a Payson home ID'd
- Small plane crashes on Phoenix street; pilot, passenger dead
- Prescott man identified as pilot in deadly plane crash Aug. 29
- Authorities: 4 on plane seriously injured in Arizona crash
- Investigators cite mechanical problems in fatal plane crash