Originally Published: August 28, 2017 8:48 p.m.
KINGMAN, Ariz. (AP) — An Arizona man facing the death penalty has a new primary defense attorney.
The Mohave Valley Daily News reports (http://bit.ly/2vlYl0j ) Justin James Rector, of Bullhead City, is charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping, child abuse and abandonment of a dead body in the 2014 death of 8-year-old Isabella Grogan-Cannella.
Indigent Defense Service Director Blake Schritter says Quinn Jolly has been assigned as first chair on Rector's case. Co-counsel Julia Cassels will remain as second counsel.
Gerald Gavin, Rector's former lead defense attorney, withdrew from the case in July after becoming aware of an ethical conflict of interest.
Rector allegedly strangled Grogan-Cannella and left her body in a shallow grave.
Jolly will appear at Rector's next hearing, which is scheduled for Sept. 22.
More like this story
- Man seeks to represent himself in alleged kidnapping, murder of 8-year-old girl
- Court OKs move to drop death penalty in Arizona girl's murder
- Man charged with killing 8-year-old Arizona girl pleads guilty
- Trial date set in 2014 killing of 8-year-old Bullhead City girl
- Remembering 8-year-old Bella: Namesake sign raised over Bella's Place near Williams