The Daily Courier Logo
Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
4:14 AM Tue, Nov. 20th

Gas explosion ignites Chino Valley house fire

A man doing some plumbing work on his Chino Valley home on Thursday morning, Aug. 24, caused a spark that resulted in a “small explosion” of natural gas and caught the home on fire, said Rick Chase, Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority Division Chief.

The home, in the 700 block of East Road 3 South, was about 50 percent involved with fire when Central Arizona and Prescott fire crews arrived, Chase said.

The homeowner “was using saws, and we’re not quite sure exactly what happened, if he ruptured a gas line or had a slow gas leak,” Chase said.

“He was very lucky” he wasn’t injured in the explosion, Chase said.

There were no injuries and the home was a total loss.