Lightning strike damages Chino Valley home
No one was injured when a lightning strike started a fire in the attic of a mobile home in the 1900 block of Susan Street in Chino Valley Tuesday, Aug. 1.
Central Arizona Fire and Prescott Fire Department answered the call at 7:49 p.m., according to a press release from Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority Fire Marshal Rick Chase.
The first engine on scene saw heavy smoke coming from the attic and declared a working
fire in the 1,400-square-foot mobile home, Chase said.
the attic in several locations, getting a quick knockdown on the fire. Fire damage was contained to the attic area.
Two occupants were home and both safely evacuated. The family pet, a cat, was
rescued by firefighters, he said.
Due to 911 being called early on and the quick actions of firefighters, damage was kept to the attic area and most of the homeowners’ belongings were saved, Chase said, adding that the home was struck by lightning during a storm, which started the fire.
Crews remained on the scene and assisted the homeowners in getting personal belongings and ensuring the fire was completely extinguished.
Four fire engines, a water tender, battalion chief, fire investigator and an asst. chief responded to this incident. A trauma intervention person (TIP) also assisted the homeowners. Chino Valley Police Department personnel were also at the scene.
Information provided by Central Arizona Fire and Medical Authority.