Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
Sun, July 21

Worker ignites house fire; homeowner, dogs escape unharmed (VIDEO)

Central Arizona Fire crews respond to a structure fire in the 7900 block of Buena Vista Drive in Prescott Valley Friday morning. Division Chief Rick Chase said the fire was caused by a roofer using a torch on the roof..
Photo by Les Stukenberg.

Central Arizona Fire crews respond to a structure fire in the 7900 block of Buena Vista Drive in Prescott Valley Friday morning. Division Chief Rick Chase said the fire was caused by a roofer using a torch on the roof..

PRESCOTT VALLEY – A roofer working with a torch accidentally set off a fire in a house in the 7900 block of Buena Vista Drive Friday morning.

The worker was repairing a porch roof using the torch when it set fire to the roof, according to Central Arizona Fire Division Chief Rick Chase.

“Unfortunately, when you use a torch, sometimes this can happen,” Chase said. The worker “saw some smoke, and then he saw some flame, and tried to extinguish it himself, but couldn’t do it.”

Homeowner Rod Taylor said, “I was on the internet, and the roofer comes down and says, ‘Call the fire department,’ and I said, “What are you talking about?’

“So I looked outside and saw the smoke, called 911, grabbed my dogs and put them in the truck. Got up and got out.”

Chase said Taylor left a cat inside, but that there wasn’t heavy smoke in the house and the cat would likely be fine.

The fire extended into the attic, burning the trusses, so firefighters had to open up the ceiling and “hit it with water right away,” Chase said, “because as soon as you introduce oxygen into (the attic), it’s going to want to get bigger.”

Using thermal cameras, the crews looked for further hot spots in the attic and walls. Firefighters continued to work on a stubborn area of the roof for about an hour to ensure that it was completely out.

No one was injured in the fire.

Contact

This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads...