Join in on the Prescott-area Bowl for Kids’ Sake fun
A grassroots effort to support our community’s most vulnerable children
What is Bowl for Kids’ Sake?
Think of “Bowl for Kids’ Sake” (BFKS) as a call to action rather than an event. It is the opportunity to make a difference in our community with just a few hours of your time. Your efforts to raise pledges will help support matches of children to caring volunteers through Yavapai Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring programs.
Bowl For Kids’ Sake is not just a party, but it is a great way to help local kids while having some fun with friends. If you don’t know how to bowl, you’ll be in good company.
You can bowl with your business, church, school or as a group of family and friends. Every time you secure a pledge, you are helping kids who may live right down your street, on your block or in your neighborhood.
How does Big Brothers Big Sisters make a difference in our community?
Compared to all other children their age, boys and girls who are matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister are 40 percent less likely to get arrested. Compared to their peers, matched youth are:
• 46 percent less likely to begin using illegal drugs
• 27 percent less likely to begin using alcohol
• 52 percent less likely to skip school
The program really works. These are impressive results when you consider the many risks faced by kids in our society. That’s why matching caring volunteers to children on our waiting list is so important.
What makes Bowl for Kids’ Sake important to Big Brothers Big Sisters?
Yavapai Big Brothers Big Sisters provided matches for over 700 Little Brothers and Sisters. However, over 150 children are waiting. Bowl for Kids’ Sake will play a key role in providing matches for these waiting children. BFKS is the single largest source of agency funds and potential volunteers for our mentoring programs.
How do you participate?
• Contact Yavapai Big Brothers Big Sisters to sign up your team and get your team captain packet.
• Recruit four or five additional people to bowl on your team.
• Distribute pledge sheets to team members.
• Set a pledge goal for your team and encourage each member to work toward the goal.
• Arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled bowling time with your completed pledge sheets. Don’t worry – we’ll collect all the money!
• Enjoy two hours of fun, food, drinks and prizes with your friends!
If you don’t want to captain a team call us – we’ll find you one. Volunteers are also needed for the day of the event. Corporate or individual lane sponsors are also available!
For specific information on how you can participate in BFKS, go to www.azbigs.org/bfks. In the Quad Cities, call 928-778-5135; in the Verde Valley, call 928-634-9789.