NCAA nickname quiz for cats, dogs, Sooners, Hoosiers
Everyone exhale. Time for a bracket break.
After so many buzzer-beaters, blabbering about bubble teams and berating the NCAA Tournament selection committee for so many bad decisions in picking the 68-team field, we present the unofficial, unfettered and unscientific Nickname Quiz.
As you fill out your brackets (and hand over your entry fee), remember that the road to the Final Four in Houston is filled with colorful nicknames. And, remember, let's not take this too seriously.
- A couple of teams are jacked ...
- Which teams fly?
- And then there's mythical/made up creatures ....
- There's a snake in the field ...
- As for gallantry? ...
- The most colorful teams ...
- Most popular nicknames (Hint: dogs and cats) ...
- Horned creatures, anyone? (Sorry no Frogs) ...
- Bears on the loose ...
- Weather teams ...
- We're counting a lot of cats, including those Wildcats ...
- NFL nickname teams ...
- Quickest teams ...
- It's an election year ...
- Men of Troy ...
- Luck 'o the Irish ...
EXTRA CREDIT: Teams heading in a direction (not a nickname question, but it's extra credit!).
Answers (DON'T PEEK!)
- Jackrabbits (South Dakota State), Lumberjacks (Stephen F. Austin).
- Flyers (Dayton), Eagles (Florida Gulf Coast), Hawks (Saint Joseph’s), Owls (Temple).
- Phoenix (Green Bay), Seawolves (Stony Brook), Seahawks (UNC Wilmington).
- Chattanooga (Mocs)
- Crusaders (Holy Cross), Knights (Fairleigh Dickinson), Cavaliers (Virginia), Musketeers (Xavier).
- Golden Bears (California), Blue Devils (Duke), Rainbow Warriors (Hawaii), Blue Raiders (Middle Tennessee), Orange (Syracuse), Red Raiders (Texas Tech), Golden Hurricane (Tulsa).
- Bulldogs (Butler, Fresno State, Gonzaga, UNC Asheville, Yale); Wildcats (Arizona, Kentucky, Villanova, Weber State).
- Bulls (Buffalo), Buffaloes (Colorado), Blue Devils (Duke), Longhorns (Texas), Rams (VCU).
- Baylor (Bears), California (Golden Bears), Cincinnati (Bearcats).
- Cyclones (Iowa State), Hurricanes, (Miami), Golden Hurricane (Tulsa).
- Bearcats (Cincinnati), Panthers (Northern Iowa, Pittsburgh), Jaguars (Southern), Wildcats (Arizona, Kentucky, Villanova, Weber State).
- Bears (Baylor), Eagles (Florida Gulf Coast), Panthers (Northern Iowa, Pittsburgh), Jaguars (Southern), Seahawks (UNC Wilmington), Rams (VCU).
- Roadrunners (Cal State-Bakersfield), Panthers (Northern Iowa, Pittsburgh), Jaguars (Southern), Running Utes (Utah), Jackrabbits (South Dakota State).
- Governors (Austin Peay).
- Trojans (Southern California, UALR)
- Fighting Irish (Notre Dame), Gaels (Iona).
EXTRA CREDIT: Middle Tennessee, North Carolina, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Southern California, Southern, West Virginia.
More like this story
Music For Those With Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
Depression Bipolar Support Alliance
Cyber Security Awareness Workshop
Prescott Caregiver Support Group
Aztlan Lodge #1, F.&A.M. Family Breakfast
View More Events...
This Week's Circulars
To view money-saving ads...