Gas main break near Rosser Street disrupts service to about 350 Tuesday
PRESCOTT - Gas service to about 350 homes homes in Prescott was disrupted Tuesday after a City of Prescott Water Department crew accidentally struck a gas main.
Shortly before 9 a.m., the crew reported they’d struck a 4-inch gas main, according to a press release from Prescott Fire Department paramedic/firefighter Conrad Jackson. The crew had been attempting to repair a leaking water main near Rosser Street and Eagle Ridge Road when their backhoe hit the line. The area had been Blue Staked and the gas line was roughly a foot out of alignment with the markers.
A Prescott Battalion Chief and fire engines from Prescott and Central Yavapai Fire District responded. The crews pulled hose lines as a precaution in the event of a fire and proceeded to evacuate nearby homes, Jackson said.
Unisource responded within 10 minutes. Because the water leak flooded the area with water and mud, the gas leak took nearly an hour to stop. Fire crews remained on scene while Unisource worked and conducted air monitoring for flammable gas.
Prescott Police Department closed Rosser for the duration of the event.
With the gas leak stopped, the Water Department estimated they would have the water line repaired by 4 p.m., at which point Unisource would be able to repair the damaged gas line.
Roughly 350 homes were believed to have lost gas service. Unisource said they would be making contact with the impacted homes once they completed their repairs in order to reignite pilot lights and address any other resulting complications, Jackson said.