Originally Published: January 24, 2016 6 a.m.
Fifth-grader Dominic Santillan was presented with a Military Order of the Purple Heart Certificate of Recognition for his outstanding performance in portraying Sgt. Allen D. June U.S.M.C. one of the 29 original Navajo code talkers that served in World War II. Dominic's project was to give a presentation on a person that impressed him and made a significant positive change in the country. Sgt. June fought in the battle of Peleliu, where he was injured and received his Purple Heart. In 2001, he was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal from President George H.W. Bush. Sgt. June held a master's degree in economics/accounting from the University of Utah. He died Sept. 8, 2010 at the age of 91 of natural causes in the VA Prescott, Arizona, Hospital.
More like this story
- Bob Stump VA Medical Center patient, one of 3 surviving Navajo code talkers, receives medal
- Navajo Code Talker Teddy Draper Sr. dies in Prescott at 96
- One of the original Code Talkers dies
- Purple Heart anniversary is Thursday
- Code Talker Teddy Draper Sr. dies at 96; was former Prescott Veterans Day Parade grand marshal