Sandbags available for county residents
Yavapai County has had several severe storms move through the area. One storm in Prescott Valley dumped 2.41 inches of rain in less than one hour with power outages, hail, and shallow flood inundation across the area. This past Monday and Tuesday had afternoon rainstorms with several inches of rain.
As a reminder, monsoons can linger over an area and drop copious amounts of rain in a brief period of time, resulting in significant storm water runoff and flooding.
The Yavapai County Flood Control District recommends if your home is prone to shallow inundation, to acquire sandbags and/or plywood for entryways. Keep them on standby.
Residents of Castle Canyon Mesa can find sand and sand bags at Castle Court Park, 3455 North Knights Way.
Other locations to find sand and sand bags (please bring a shovel, you must fill the bags):
- Central Yavapai Fire Station PV - 8555 E. Yavapai Road, Prescott Valley.
- Yavapai County Public Works yard in Prescott - 1100 Commerce Drive.
- Prescott Fire Station - 333 White Spar Road.
- Prescott Fire Station - 1980 Club House Drive, near the airport.
- Prescott/Central Fire Station - 1700 Iron Springs Road.
- Central Yavapai Fire Station - 4125 W. Outer Loop Road, Prescott.
- Mayer Fire Station - 10001 South Miami Street, Mayer.
Other things to do to protect yourself and your property include purchasing flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program. See www.floodsmart.gov or contact your insurance agent for more information. Normal homeowners' insurance policies do not cover flood losses.
Clean out ditches and drainage areas. Remove debris and overgrowth vegetation from drainage areas. Maximize flow paths so storm water can be carried through existing drainage. Repair or open crushed culverts.
Never cross flooded roadways in vehicles or on foot or bicycle, and stay away from flooded drainage areas. Swift water is very dangerous.
See the Yavapai County Flood Control District website at www.ycflood.com for additional tips and information.