The Daily Courier Logo
Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
1:19 PM Fri, Nov. 16th

Cosby stage performance in Arizona canceled following accusations of sexual assault

In this Nov. 6, 2014, file photo, entertainer Bill Cosby gestures during an interview about the upcoming exhibit, "Conversations: African and African-American Artworks in Dialogue," at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art in Washington. Cosby's appearance at Tuscon’s Desert Diamond Casino has been canceled. No reason was given by the casino for the canceled date, which had been scheduled for Feb. 15. In the past week, numerous allegations of sexual abuse by Cosby from a number of women have led to canceled interviews and NBC and Netflix projects. (Associated Press photo/Evan Vucci)

In this Nov. 6, 2014, file photo, entertainer Bill Cosby gestures during an interview about the upcoming exhibit, "Conversations: African and African-American Artworks in Dialogue," at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art in Washington. Cosby's appearance at Tuscon’s Desert Diamond Casino has been canceled. No reason was given by the casino for the canceled date, which had been scheduled for Feb. 15. In the past week, numerous allegations of sexual abuse by Cosby from a number of women have led to canceled interviews and NBC and Netflix projects. (Associated Press photo/Evan Vucci)

NEW YORK - Stage performances by Bill Cosby in Arizona, Las Vegas, Illinois and South Carolina have been canceled as more women come forward accusing the entertainer of sexually assaulting them many years ago.

Officials at the Treasure Island hotel and casino on the Las Vegas strip said Friday they mutually agreed with the comedian to cancel his Nov. 28 performance. No reason was given by the Diamond Desert casino in Tucson, Arizona, for canceling his Feb. 15 show.

Two other appearances, scheduled for April in Champaign, Illinois, also were called off Friday, as was a February show in Florence, South Carolina.

Producers said Cosby, 77, still planned to bring his comedy routine to a sold-out theater in Melbourne, Florida, on Friday night, and at least 31 other shows remain on his schedule through May 2015.

The allegations by at least six women that Cosby sexually assaulted them after giving them pills many years ago also prompted the cancellation of TV interviews and much-anticipated projects on NBC and Netflix. Reruns of "The Cosby Show" have been pulled off the air.

Some of the women are going public again after initially coming forward about 2005, when Andrea Constand filed a civil suit alleging she was sexually assaulted by Cosby. The Pennsylvania woman's lawyer said other women were prepared to make similar claims, but the case was settled before trial.

Tamara Green, a California attorney, was among those who had agreed to testify. She later said Cosby tried to sexually assault her in her Los Angeles apartment about 1970, when she was a model and an aspiring actress.

She said Cosby asked her to help him raise money to open a private dance club. When she got sick shortly after starting the project, she said Cosby gave her two pills that made her almost lose consciousness, took her to her apartment, undressed her and then took his clothes off.

"I got really angry," she told The Associated Press in an interview Friday. She recalled screaming and trying to break a window with a lamp as she fought off Cosby's advances. He eventually left, leaving two $100 bills on her nightstand, she recalled.

"I think that my blood pressure and my fury was keeping me from losing consciousness," she said.

Another woman, Joan Tarshis, decided to tell her story publicly for the first time Monday.

Now 66, Tarshis said Cosby gave her drug-laced drinks twice in 1969, forcing her to perform a sex act the first time and raping her the second time. She said she told no one about this for decades, and only decided to go public when she read a Nov. 13 column in The Washington Post by Barbara Bowman, a Scottsdale resident who alleges she was drugged and raped by Cosby when she was 17.

"I actually spoke with Barbara Bowman yesterday," Tarshis told the AP on Friday. "It was great. Because she's a person who understands what I've been through ... I said, 'I'm giving you a hug all the way to Arizona.'"

Cosby's representatives have broadly dismissed the accusations. He has never been charged with any such crime and his lawyer has specifically denied some of the allegations. Cosby himself has consistently refused to comment on it.

"We don't answer that," Cosby told the AP this month.