Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
Fri, July 19

Cigarette believed to be cause of small apartment fire

PRESCOTT VALLEY - A fire Saturday morning at a small apartment building in the 3000 block of Majesty Drive was extinguished just minutes before it became a major blaze, a fire spokesman said.

The first fire crew to arrive at about 8:30 found a bedroom and its contents on fire, Central Yavapai Fire District Battalion Chief Rick Chase said. Firefighters were able to stop the flames as they were about to enter the ceiling and attic, he said. "They had a quick knockdown on the fire in the room," he said, "and they breached the ceiling and were able to prevent the fire from spreading into the attic."

The electrical wiring to both the apartment that burned and a neighboring unit was damaged.

No injuries resulted from the fire, although the resident of the apartment went to the hospital "for other health issues," Chase said. She was assisted in evacuating by a neighbor just before firefighters arrived.

Chase said the fire appears to have been caused by a cigarette left unattended.


This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads...