Originally Published: April 25, 2014 6 a.m.
The landscapes of Arizona have set the scene for movies for more than a century, from the era of silent films to the present. Many of the big names in show business have made movies in Arizona, from John Wayne and Marilyn Monroe to Johnny Depp and Jennifer Lopez.
DeBarbieri has a chapter on filmmaking in Prescott from silent "photoplays" shot on Grove Avenue and in Granite Dells to westerns filmed on neighboring ranches. Tom Mix made many movies in Prescott and his ranch house and studio is now the Yavapai Hills Clubhouse. Other movies made in Prescott include Tom Laughlin's "Billy Jack," Steve McQueen in "Junior Bonner," and Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger in "The Getaway."
Lili DeBarbieri's new book is the first book to gather this information in one place. She lives in Tucson and graduated from Prescott College and has a Master's degree in Library and Information Science as well. Lili also is the author of the travel narrative, "A Guide to Southern Arizona's Historic Farms and Ranches."
She will do a slideshow and talk at the Peregrine Book Company on Saturday, April 26, at 2 p.m.
More like this story
- Lili Debarbieri's latest book focuses on Arizona's rich history in film
- 'Hooray for Hollywood' event celebrates Elks Opera House anniversary
- Memorabilia from 'The Shootist' and more on display
- Hollywood’s Wild, Wild West at museum lecture Saturday
- Best Fest film festival showcases Arizona's movie past