Pick Your Price during adopt-a-thon at YHS
Spring has sprung, and the Yavapai Humane Society (YHS) is bursting at the seams with many wonderful pets looking for loving homes. In most communities thousands of homeless pets are killed rather than adopted. Fortunately, our community knows that YHS is "the" pet adoption center of choice and a great alternative to purchasing a pet from a breeder or pet store. When you adopt from YHS you lovingly help solve the pet overpopulation problem in our community.
Adopting a pet from YHS can be one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have. Here are just a few reasons why you should adopt a YHS pet in April:
1. Save Money: For the entire month of April you can Pick Your Price for almost any YHS dog, cat, puppy or kitten; and we have lots of puppies! All YHS pets are vaccinated, spayed or neutered and microchipped.
2. Save 2 Lives: About 3 million pets are killed each year in overcrowded animal shelters. Adopting a YHS pet means you save two lives; the pet you adopt and the pet you make room for at YHS by adopting.
3. Clean Bill of Health: Pets at YHS are healthy. YHS has trained specialists on hand to examine the animals when they arrive and make sure they are vetted and fit for adoption. Those who are sickly are treated and cared for quickly.
4. Large Selection: YHS offers adopters the best and largest selection of pets in central and northern Arizona. The selection changes daily with new animals arriving, so families can take their time in finding the perfect pet. Many YHS dogs are obedience trained through our Blue Ribbon Program. YHS evaluates the temperaments of pets so families have some idea of the animal's personality before adopting, which helps in deciding which pet is best for your family. All our cats are socialized thanks to our volunteer cat cuddlers. And if you're looking for a Barn Cat to handle your rodent problems, YHS has the perfect cat(s) for you.
5. Won't Support Puppy Mills: A puppy mill is a breeder who breeds dogs for maximum profit with little regard for the animals. Many of these breeders do not properly care for the puppies or their parents and house them in deplorable conditions. The dogs may have no or very poor medical care. If you want a pure breed check first with YHS, about 30 percent of our dogs are purebred. And we have a pure breed waiting list so we can contact you when the breed you want comes in. Putting your heart and money towards adopting a YHS animal will help end this cruel industry.
6. Feeling Good is Priceless: Get that heartwarming feeling that only an adopted pet can give you. Your life will be greatly enriched by their companionship. Pets improve a person's well-being in many ways, from providing a sense of purpose to even lowering blood pressure.
7. Adopt during April and you will receive $5 off your Walk for the Animals registration and you then will have the perfect companion to take to the 3rd Annual YHS Walk for the Animals at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University on Saturday, April 26.
You can register for this fun community event at www.yavapaihumane.org/walk or by calling 928-445-2666, ext. 12.
Every animal lover can sign up for the Walk for the Animals even if you can't attend. When you sign up online you can quickly and easily reach out to your friends and family all across the country by e-mail to ask them to support you (even if you sleep in that day) as you support YHS's many life-saving programs. Let's make this the best Walk for the Animals ever!
Ed Boks is the executive director of the Yavapai Humane Society. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 445-2666, ext. 21