Originally Published: November 9, 2013 6 a.m.
Mike Shaw and Deb Lenzen of Prescott recently attended the 36th annual American Kitefliers Association Convention in Seaside, Ore., and competed for the title of Grand National Champion Kitemaker 2013. Mike's kite, "Native Tribute," an eight-foot Mattaku-style kite, received the gold medal in the Flat Kite category. Mike and Deb worked cooperatively on the kite "Shards of Gold," and it received the gold medal in the Cooperative category. The seven-foot square "Shards of Gold" was based on the art found on Antoinette Silas Honie pottery, and "Native Tribute" was inspired by a Native American mask seen at the Heard Museum in Phoenix.
More like this story
- Prescott Woman Earns Grand National Kitemaking Championship
- ERAU faculty member captures international flying awards
- Prescott man captures world titles in senior racquetball
- Vicoryosmanson named Grand Champion in beginner's division
- Solar cars bring gold and silver medals for Coyote Springs students