Originally Published: December 26, 2012 10:33 p.m.
Preschool students at Sacred Heart Catholic Preschool recently celebrated the feast of St. Nicholas by learning about his life.
"They had a fun surprise when they discovered a gold coin (of chocolate) and a holy card with his picture tucked away into their shoes," said Beverly Aviles, development director at Sacred Heart School.
The story of Christmas originated with St. Nicholas, who was born in the third century, in what is currently known as Turkey, Aviles said.
St. Nicholas was raised a devout Catholic by wealthy parents, and there are many tales about how hesecretly gave his money away to help the poor, sick and needy, Aviles said.
The anniversary of his death was celebrated on Dec. 6.
More like this story
- In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there ...
- St. Vincent de Paul Sacred Heart Conference parties with 115 children in need
- Kids visit with Santa at St. Vincent de Paul Society Christmas Party
- Play tells story of St. Nick's origins
- Sacred Heart seeks return of stolen statues, no questions asked