Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
Mon, May 20

Two hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning

PAULDEN - Rescue workers evacuated a house that contained dangerous levels of carbon monoxide Sunday morning, and took two of the occupants to Yavapai Regional Medical Center, the Chino Valley Fire District reported.

CVFD crews responded to a home with several unresponsive patients at 7 a.m. Sunday on Bramble Road, district spokesman Rob Zazueta said. They arrived on the scene to find several people in the house, with the woman and her child unresponsive in a back room.

Fire crews evacuated the home after gas detectors read extremely dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, Zazueta said.

An ambulance took the woman and child to YRMC, and family members took the rest of the residents to the hospital. The incident resulted in eight people being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rescue workers determined a portable propane heater that is not rated for indoor use was responsible for the carbon monoxide exposure, Zazueta said.

CVFD advises people to take extreme cautions with using heat sources indoors. Heating appliances produce carbon monoxide, and can become potentially deadly when residents do not use them according to the rating.

For more information, contact the fire district at 636-2442.


This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads...