Originally Published: August 31, 2012 10 p.m.
Shirley (McCall) and Max Kearley were married on Sept. 2, 1939, at the First Baptist Church in Compton, Calif. They met at a Christmas Eve church social. Max served in the U.S. Navy for two years during World War II and, in 1947, they relocated to Prescott, where Max was a building contractor and Shirley, a mother and homemaker, helped Max with his business. Max was the general contractor for the building of the current sanctuary of First Baptist Church on Marina Street in Prescott.
They have three children, Gary (Audie, now deceased) of Big Bear, Calif.; Susan (Gene) Wussow of Scottsdale, Ariz.; and Dale (now deceased) and daughter-in-law Patti of Prescott. They have six grandchildren, David, Jon, Wendy and Christy, Philip and Tim; and 11 great-grandchildren.
The family portrait in the photo above was taken at the Kearleys' 50th anniversary celebration in 1989, and shows them with their three children and six grandchildren.