Originally Published: April 18, 2012 9:50 p.m.
A 62-year-old man from California accidentally shot himself in the leg Wednesday afternoon during a class at Gunsite Academy in Paulden, said Dwight D'Evelyn, spokesman for the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office.
The man was in a basic pistol class when his gun accidentally discharged while he holstered his pistol, said Jane Anne Shimizu, public relations spokeswoman for Gunsite Academy.
"As he is holstering his handgun following a course of fire, he does not release his trigger finger and the weapon discharges," D'Evelyn said. "The bullet enters the right leg below the knee and exits nearby."
Gunsite, Chino Valley firefighters and Life Line Ambulance medical staff responded immediately to treat the man for hit injury, and at 3 p.m., Native Air flew the man to Flagstaff Medical Center for further treatment, Shimizu said.
The man's injury is not life-threatening, D'Evelyn said.
At 5 p.m., the man remained at the hospital in fair condition, said Starla Collins, spokeswoman for Flagstaff Medical Center.
More like this story
- Woman shoots herself when weapon fires while being holstered
- Deputies: Black Canyon City shooting was accidental; man dropped gun
- No charges in McDonald's shooting accident
- Man shoots self in leg in restroom of Prescott Valley McDonald's
- Investigators believe shooting at Rock Springs Café was accidental