Dewey-Humboldt Historical Society signs lease on bank building
The Dewey-Humboldt Historical Society called to order a Special Meeting on Wednesday morning, April 4, to sign a three-month lease on the Old Bank Building on Main Street. D-HHS President Kevin Leonard presided over the meeting, which included 32 members and D-H Mayor Terry Nolan and Town Manager Yvonne Kimball.
Leonard and Gateway Baptist Church Pastor Steven Lain, representing the current owners of the property, signed the lease in front of a packed house, followed by an enthusiastic round of applause. After the official signing Leonard presented Pastor Lain with a check for $600 covering the first month's rent, and gave D-HHS Archivist Jackie Mattheis the pen for safekeeping.
D-HHS Treasurer David Nystrom recognized the heads of three subcommittees that made the lease signing possible: Fundraising and Events Chairman Chris Berry, Grants and Strategic Plans Chairman Gerald Hoyer, and Museum Operations Chairman Skip Rains. The Old Bank Building, as known by locals, was originally built in 1918 and still proudly stands today at 12925 Main Street in downtown Humboldt. Renting this historic building for the next three months is the first step in converting the property to a museum. Initially DHHS plans to use the building as a meeting place, as a focal point for fundraising activities, and as location to involve the community in developing the site.
Dinner/Dance Fundraiser Saturday
A fundraiser in support of the museum takes place this Saturday, April 14, with a Cowboy Bolo Tie and Potluck Dinner and Dance held at the location to dedicate the site as a future museum. The surrounding Quad-Cities community is welcome to attend, visit the property, view a small selection of historic items on display, as well as participate in a silent auction and other activities.
Admission is by donation with festivities beginning at 2 p.m., dinner at 4 p.m., and dancing to the country/bluegrass music of The Desert Routes Band at 6 p.m.