Originally Published: September 14, 2011 9:51 p.m.
A 2-year-old boy bitten by a rattlesnake on Sunday and flown to Flagstaff Medical Center for treatment is now back home, said Charlie Cook, Central Yavapai Fire District spokesman.
At 5:30 p.m., firefighters answered a call about a person bitten by a rattlesnake in the Quailwood subdivision in Prescott Valley. "The boy was playing out in the yard when he tried to pick up a 1-foot-long rattlesnake, and it bit him on the hand," Cook said.
Firefighters were able to catch the snake and confirm it was a rattlesnake.
"The boy was alert and oriented when firefighters spoke with him, and he was flown to Flagstaff Medical Center for treatment," Cook said.
Cook said the grandmother told firefighters Tuesday morning that the boy is doing well.
"His grandmother said it looks like the rattlesnake had eaten before biting the boy and had injected most of his venom in his prey, so the boy did not get too much venom from the bite," Cook said. "The younger and the older you are, the more hazardous it is for you to get a venomous bite."
More like this story
- Boy smiling, running around just 5 days after rattlesnake bite
- Bitten twice, Arizona man ‘ain’t gonna play with snakes no more’
- Game and Fish warns: Time to start watching for venomous critters
- Fire department fights brown recluse spiders after 2 bitten
- It's time to start watching for venomous critters