Originally Published: October 10, 2011 9:49 p.m.
FLAGSTAFF - A historic hotel on the Grand Canyon's North Rim soon will be closing for the season.
Reservations will be accepted through Saturday at the Grand Canyon Lodge, and all other concessionaire-run visitor services will close at the end of the day. The exceptions are the gift shop and the gas station, which will stay open through Nov. 27 or until weather forces the closure of State Route 67 between Jacob Lake and the North Rim.
The National Park Service's visitor center, bookstore and the backcountry permit office will also stay open through Nov. 27.
The North Rim campground will stay open to campers with permits, but access is available only by hiking from the South Rim or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the north.
More like this story
- Grand Canyon's North Rim seasonal shutdown to begin Oct. 16
- Less snow prompts push to lengthen visit season on Grand Canyon's North Rim
- Group trips across Grand Canyon will need permit
- Monsoon lightning sets North Rim of Grand Canyon ablaze
- Everything Grand; The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is magnificent in fall