Originally Published: January 30, 2011 9:45 p.m.
Right now the Japanese whaling fleet is in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary hunting whales.
This is the fourth time the Japanese have gone to the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary since President Obama made the statement that "allowing Japan to continue commercial whaling is unacceptable."
According to a recent Greenpeace poll, 83 percent of Americans want the president to stand by his pledge to strengthen the ban on commercial whaling.
Please ask President Obama to use all the diplomatic tools available to him to reform the International Whaling Commission and stop the Japanese from whaling in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.
Ms. Beverly Smith
More like this story
- Off the Shelf - Ice Whale" by Jean Craighead George
- Scientists on research vessel spot rare whale in Bering Sea
- Wayward humpback whale finds its way out of Southern California harbor (video)
- Column: Obama - solving energy crisis one country at a time
- Grieving orca highlights plight of endangered whales