It was appalling to read in the Aug. 14 Daily Courier that a fire at Yavapai Downs had burned several barn stalls and a number of horses had avoided a disaster when someone released them to run freely.
As you reported, one horse had injured its knee after running into a barbed wire fence, in addition to injuries other horses suffered.
My wife Eileen and I have been in the horse industry professionally as Income Tax Specialists in Equine Tax Law for more than 30 years, owned and operated horse boarding and training operations, both in California and Arizona, and currently own a horse ranch in Williamson Valley.
Eileen was the Reserve Champion of the United States in Advanced Single Horse Combined Driving in 2004, and was nominated for the Long List by the United States Equestrian Federation Inc., which is an organization that handles all Olympic horse sporting events.
Together, for many years, we have competed all over the United States, boarding our horse at many stables, and never did they allow anyone to put a refrigerator in a barn stall!
This unfortunate accident should have never happened if they would enforce rules that allow only horses to occupy stalls, and not let people or refrigerators occupy stalls. In addition, if the fairgrounds lack a fire evacuation plan for the horse stables, I suggest they implement a plan now, have adequate fire extinguishers nearby, and not permit this type of incident to ever happen again.