Baby stable after ingesting drug at grandma's home
PRESCOTT - A 3-week-old baby girl is in stable condition at Phoenix Children's Hospital after she ingested a near lethal amount of methadone Wednesday inside her grandmother's apartment on Country Club Circle.
Prescott police Lt. Ken Morley said officers do not know how the infant consumed a large enough dose of the synthetic opioid drug that it nearly killed her.
However, investigators said the grandmother, Terrie Braniff, 48, had methadone in her apartment.
At 7 a.m. Wednesday, Prescott police officers responded to the apartment and located the unresponsive baby girl.
The infant's mother and grandmother were caring for the baby at that time.
Paramedics took the baby to Yavapai Regional Medical Center, where Prescott police say doctors found the drug in her system.
Officers said Child Protective Services took two other children from the apartment and handed them over to relatives where they could stay in the interim.
Prescott police detectives are still working on the case to find out how the baby consumed the drug.