Originally Published: December 11, 2007 7:17 p.m.
I hate to say it, but the Christmas lights on the Courthouse Plaza are b-o-r-i-n-g!
To think that decorators spent tens of thousands of dollars on this display that resulted in nothing but a white-out. If it weren't for the Statehood Tree, the entire plaza would look like one giant funeral home.
Even the displays on the street lamps are white.
Whatever happened to the reds, the blues, the greens, the yellows, and the lights that jump out at you and shout "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays" or "Joy to the World?"
Whatever happened to the ground displays, the jumping deer, the poinsettias, the elves, the things that brighten up the area and say, "We are Arizona's Christmas City?"
The Plaza today is not much different than what you can see 365 days a year at the mall in Scottsdale.
I will not go out of my way to take visitors downtown to view the courthouse lighting.
Perhaps next year we could lose the secularism, take a page from the great display on Whipple Extension, or even from postcards showing the plaza from Christmases past, and get back to a real display of Christmas color and holiday cheer.
More like this story
- 'Tis the season: Saturday kicks off holiday festivities with parade, courthouse lighting
- Statehood Tree is like a jigsaw puzzle to prepare for holiday
- Letter: Courthouse Christmas lights were spectacular
- City considers restoring full contribution to courthouse lighting
- Courthouse Lighting increasingly popular among the locals