PRESCOTT – Republican Steve Waugh will inherit the legacy that Yavapai County Sheriff G.C. "Buck" Buchanan is leaving behind after 16 years of being at the helm of the largest law enforcement agency in the county.
At around 8 p.m., when the first unofficial primary election results arrived from 52 precincts out of 104, which included the figures from early voting in those precincts, it was already clear that Waugh won the race for sheriff and that his closest opponent, Robert Irish, also a Republican, would not close a 4,000-vote gap.
Waugh automatically wins the office, as he has no challengers in the general election.
More like this story
- Sheriff Steve Waugh files nomination petitions
- Prescott helps Springer while Verde helps Waugh
- Pearsall, Waugh and Springer lead early election results
- Supervisors give the OK to new precinct boundaries
- County GOP to vote on Steve Pierce 'censure': Many unhappy with senator's stance on Medicaid expansion