Unique artist gifts abound this holiday season
Want to have some fun this Christmas shopping season? Try spending less time fighting crowds and looking for a parking space at the mall and more time looking for unique artistic gifts the people on your gift list might treasure more, by attending some of the holiday gift shows at local museums and galleries.
Here are a few suggestions:
• The Phippen Museum's annual Christmas Shopping Extravaganza is this weekend from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, (November 13) and from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday (November 14).
Artists such as John Coleman, Bonnie Casey, Cynthia Rigden, Paul VerBerg, Diana Simpson, John Skurja and Bill Nebeker will be present to display and discuss their original paintings, sculpture, jewelry, pottery and more.
From 4-6 p.m., you can stay and enjoy Christmas music with wine, hot cider, hors d'oeuvres and cookies with the artists and fellow shoppers.
Non-members pay a $5 admission charge. Call 778-1385 or go to www.phippenmuseum.org for more information.
• The Smoki Museum hosts "Christmas Around the Kiva" on December 4 and 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (both days) featuring Indian guest artists, live Indian flute music, holiday refreshments and a 10% discount in the Museum Trading Post.
Guest artists for the event are; Navajo weaver Nanabah Aragon and her son, southwestern pottery artist Allen Aragon, and Sandy and Mavis Garcia who work with glass beads and traditional style heshi jewelry.
Call 778-1385 or go to www.smokimuseum.org for more information.
• The Mountain Artists Guild's (228 N. Alarcon) annual Holiday Gift and Craft Show opens at 10 a.m. today (November 12) and continues through December 22.
Original works of art, craft, jewelry, ornaments and home decorations will be available in all price ranges.
• The Prescott Fine Arts Association Gallery comes alive with its Holiday Gift Show & Sale beginning with a reception today from 5-7:30 p.m. and continuing through December 17th.
The show and sale will feature the work of the most popular local artists.
Exceptional wall art, sculpture, jewelry, textiles, ceramics and more will be for sale, all for under $200.
The Gallery will be open every day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday and from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
• A special art show and sale to benefit the Prescott Public Library expansion will be at the home of Betty Ritter (1959 Forest Hills Rd. in Prescott), just in time for holiday shopping.
The art show and sale will be from 4-8 p.m. today (November 12), 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday and from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
Original watercolors, pastels, acrylics, gold and silver jewelry, ceramics, quilted pieces and original note cards from guest artists Laura Bloomenstein, Lee Borden, Heather Lea, Betty Ritter, Bella Romero, Lynn Van Landingham and Margaret Wood will be available.
Refreshments will be served.
• The Jerome Artist Cooperative Gallery hosts its annual holiday show at the gallery located at 502 Main St. beginning with a reception from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on Saturday, November 20, and running through January 5.
The largest cooperative gallery in Northern Arizona with over 40 local artists is housed in the old Hotel Jerome, built in 1917.
Some of the items featured will be paintings, drawings and prints, fabric art, jewelry, ceramics, art gourds, garden art, life masks, photography, glass, wood, collage, furniture and more.