Originally Published: May 8, 2003 6:10 p.m.
Courier/Les Stukenberg Emergency crews work to extricate one of the victims in Wednesday afternoon's two-vehicle crash at the intersection of Highway 89 and Prescott Lakes Parkway.
The driver of the passenger vehicle, Earl Stanley Christensen of Prescott, suffered critical injuries and was dead on arrival at the Yavapai Regional Medical Center, Prescott Fire Department spokesman Dave Peterson said. His wife, Antonina Christensen, suffered serious injuries and emergency personnel airlifted her to Good Samaritan hospital in Phoenix.
The pickup driver, Allen Wilstermann, suffered minor injuries and emergency personnel took him to YRMC for treatment. Doctors later released him, Peterson said.
Skurja said police are investigating whether one of the vehicles ran a red light. Based on that information, they will determine whether they will file any charges in this case.
Skurja said that Highway 89 was closed for about five hours. He said police diverted northbound traffic onto Willow Creek Road and Wiliamson Valley Road, while traffic that was coming from the north had to use either Willow Creek Road or Highway 89A to get on Highway 69.
The highway reopened at around 9:30 p.m.
More like this story
- Still investigating...<BR>No arrests or charges yet in pair of<BR>Highway 89 double-fatal accidents
- Rush hour wreck on Highway 89 causes long delays
- Accident on Highway 89 kills 57- year old Paulden woman
- Paulden woman dies in two-vehicle accident
- Bus driver saw Highway 89 wreck unfold in mirror<BR><I>Offiers cite trucker, continue to investigate crash that injured 9</I><BR>