Originally Published: June 3, 2003 6:10 p.m.
• Milton Cannon – Professional jazz saxophonist
Born in 1937, the Chicago-bred vintage jazz saxophonist does not remember a time when music was not a staple of his environment.
Cannon moved to Prescott Valley in 1992 when he quickly established jazz as a viable element of the local culture.
In 1994, he founded the Cannon Academy of Performing Arts, became president of the Prescott Jazz Society and founded the two-day Juneteenth Jazz Splash Festival celebrating African-American emancipation, Women of Note performances and the Native Jazz Heritage Concerts.
Cannon also shares the gift of jazz in local elementary, high school and college classes to strengthen the future of jazz awareness.
More like this story
- Cannon's jazz rings in Christmas concert<BR>
- Local World Arts Fest vibrates with music this weekend
- Cannon Academy of Performing Art seeks music students
- Open season of jazz: Prescott Jazz Society celebrates 20 years with festivals
- <I>Jazzin' up the music scene</I><BR>Local society looks to preserve, promote form