Originally Published: January 2, 2003 6:10 p.m.
HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam — Ties between Vietnam and the United States have come far and will strengthen further as the Southeast Asian nation reforms its economy and seeks foreign investment, Sen. John McCain said today.
"When you look at our relationship 15 years ago, it's like night and day," said the former prisoner of war at the end of a weeklong vacation that was his first visit to Vietnam in two years.
More like this story
- Washington to bid farewell to the late Sen. John McCain
- US likely to send 1st aircraft carrier since war to Vietnam
- McCain critiques Trump without labeling him ‘draft dodger’
- War hero, presidential candidate and Arizona Sen. John McCain dies at 81
- For McCain, a cross-country farewell from public, presidents