Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
Sun, July 21

PV council approves new noise ordinance

PRESCOTT VALLEY – It's a good thing for some Prescott Valley music lovers that the days of the boom box are over.

If it weren't for the more popular headphones and hand-held CD players easily available today, pedestrians who enjoy listening to music would likely violate a new Prescott Valley law.

The Town Council voted Thursday to tighten its noise ordinance and include restrictions on hand-held mechanical music players.

The council did, however, express concerns about how to enforce the revised ordinance.

If other people can hear the noise or notice the music's vibrations as far as 50 feet away, it will be illegal music in Prescott Valley beginning Jan. 10.

That restriction applies to people listening to music on public property between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

If it's between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., it's a violation of PV law if anyone other than the operator can hear the music or vibrations from any distance when the operator is on public property.

The town's old noise ordinance included restrictions on sound systems in vehicles, but not for pedestrians.

And it didn't include restrictions on vibrations, which people can sometimes sense a block away from vehicles carrying bass boosters in their sound systems.

The revised ordinance also expands restrictions on sound systems in vehicles.

Instead of prohibiting "loud and raucous" noise, it now prohibits noise from a sound amplification system that is "plainly audible" from 50 feet away.

The revised ordinance also prohibits amplified sound "which causes a person to be aware of vibration accompanying the sound" at 50 feet.

Emergency, public safety, utility and government vehicles are exempt from the ordinance.

Some parts of the noise ordinance remain the same:

• Vehicle mufflers must be in good working order, and it's against the law to use a cutout, by-pass or similar muffler elimination appliance.

• Construction activity is illegal between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., unless it's an emergency with town permission, someone has a town permit, or the town's Public Works employees are doing the work.

Contact the reporter at


This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads...