Originally Published: June 13, 2002 6:15 p.m.
A display in the Sharlot Hall Building, the museum's primary exhibit hall since it was finished in 1934, illustrates cavalry life in the 1860s in Prescott.
Hall started collecting Native American and pioneer artifacts as early as 1907 and she was Arizona's territorial historian from 1909 until 1912.
She leased the first Governor's Mansion in 1927, moved her extensive collection of artifacts and documents into it and opened a museum.
For the rest of her life she worked to preserve the 1864 Governor's Mansion and to save Arizona history. After she died in 1943, a historical society continued her efforts and built today's museum complex that bears her name.