Originally Published: July 11, 2002 8 p.m.
Mr. Odell is concerned that the presentation at Yavapai College in April by Dr. (not Mr.) Duane Gish (Ph.D. in biochemistry from the University of California at Berkeley) and Dr. (not Mr.) John Meyer (Ph.D in biology) placed not only the space program but also "all other scientific achievements under challenge."
The primary goal of these two highly qualified men of science was to point out the many failings, inconsistencies and errors in the theory of evolution. Schools frequently teach molecule-to-mankind evolution as if it were a proven theory and a basic "fact" of science.
I agree with Mr. Odell that "facts are what we need to teach." As Dr. Gish and Dr. Meyer pointed out, textbooks and the teaching of evolution in the schools at all levels omit many "facts" about evolution.
• The fossil record shows only changes within a species and does not contain one clear example of an intermediate between-species (i.e., missing links) change. Darwin confidently predicted science would find many of these intermediates. Wrong. Not able to find the facts needed, many created frauds trying to help evolution along. For example the Piltdown Man, Ernst Haeckel's drawing to show embryonic recapitulation, the horse "sequence," etc. Many are still in the textbooks even after experts proved them wrong! Hmm…
• More and more factual evidence is turning up that shows the Earth is nowhere near 6 million to 7 million years old as evolution requires.
• One proof of any scientific theory is that scientists can base projections and predictions on it. Particles-to-people evolution has an extremely poor record in this important area.
Where would science be today without the efforts of these men?
• Physics –Newton, Faraday, Maxwell, Kelvin.
• Chemistry – Boyle, Dalton, Ramsay.
• Biology –Ray, Linnaeus, Mendel, Pasteur, Virchow, Agassiz.
• Geology –Steno, Woodward, Brewster, Buckland, Cuvier.
• Astronomy –Copernicul, Galileo, Kepler, Herschel, Maunder.
•Mathematics –Pascal, Leibnitz, Euler.
Each of them believed in creation!
In short, evolution has neither a coherent mechanism to explain its premise nor any factual proof to present. People who hold to it either have not looked at the evidence for and against and are therefore deceived; or are unwilling to consider that if indeed we are part of an immense and intricate creation, we have a responsibility to acknowledge that creator.
(Floyd Wright is a retired Humboldt resident and former Lockheed engineer.)