Originally Published: January 18, 2002 4:15 p.m.
PRESCOTT VALLEY – The Town of Prescott Valley will expand its services and add another in-house department in the near future.
This new Economic Development Division will focus on bringing in more retail businesses to the community and improving those retail enterprises already in existence.
The Prescott Valley Economic Development Foundation (PVEDF) currently recruits industrial, commercial and manufacturing firms – and the Chamber of Commerce promotes business retention and tourism.
According to a recent PVEDF study, Prescott Valley is on several lists for companies considering areas for future relocation.
"The area needing additional focus is recruitment of new retail enterprises," says a town report.
Last week, the Town Council approved the proposal that will allow for this additional department.
The new division will target new retail recruitment and link the town's efforts with those of the PVEDF and the Chamber in the areas of economic development, explained Town Manager Anthony Mortillaro.
In addition to creating this new department, town officials will hire an economic development manager who will report directly to the town manager.
The duties for the new division include:
• Developing an aggressive marketing program to attract new retailers and promote retail prospects;
• Assisting the PVEDF with potential industrial firms interested in locating to Prescott Valley;
• Working closely with the Arizona Department of Commerce;
• Promoting personal contacts between the businesses and the town;
• Working with current town plans and promoting the redevelopment of key business areas, as well as the redevelopment of older, industrial areas.
The Highway 69 Corridor and the industrial areas along Long Mesa Drive top the list for redevelopment, Mortillaro explained.
"This position works in concert with the PVEDF and the Chamber of Commerce … it's narrowly focused," Mortillaro said.
This position was not a part of the FY2001-02 budget, so the town will transfer money from its contingency fund.
Recruitment for the new position of economic development manager will take place in approximately 90 days.
Contact Briana Lonas at firstname.lastname@example.org.