Originally Published: February 5, 2001 7:15 p.m.
You might wonder what you could join in on that's organized in the world of tennis in Prescott, Northern Arizona, the State and then the Southwest Section. Read on.
There's something for everyone, all ages and abilities. One day tournaments, weekend tournaments, NTRP's, sanctioned,
non-sanctioned, satellite play, leagues and last but not least, just plain old Drop-In tennis that's held on Tuesday s and Thursday s at the RRTC from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., just bring a can of balls with you.
Clip this article out for future reference: it will give you the dates, times and phone numbers for all the tennis you can handle in the year 2001.
RRTC One-Day Round Robin Tournament Schedule 2001
(These tournaments are open to the public)
The following one-day tournaments are round robin format (you play all the other teams in your division) held at the Roughrider Tennis Center and you sign up by ability not gender. They include lunch, snacks and prizes to the finalists. The cost for all this fun is only $15. Call 445-1331 by the day before the tournament to sign up.
•Sunday, Feb. 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Valentine Family Doubles, A-B-C events. You must play with a family member or loved one.
• Sunday, March 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Shake Your Booty-Spring Break Doubles, A-B and C events.
• Sunday, May 20, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Swap-Partners Mixer Doubles. A-B-C events. Sign up is individual and you will play within your ability level with different partners.
• Sunday, June 10, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Name Our Baby Singles Celebration. A-B-C events. Come up with the best boy or girl name and win a special prize.
• Saturday, July 7, 6 to 10 p.m.: Midnight Madness Doubles. A-B-C events. Out for a little fun after the tourney ends!
• Sunday, Aug. 19, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Century Tournament. A-B-C events. Age of both partners must add up to 100 years or more. Anyone under 30 counts as 30.
• Sunday, Sept. 16, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Junior/Senior Doubles. A-B-C events. One player must be 18 and under, the other 19 and over.
• Sunday, Oct. 28, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.:
(Grand)Father/(Grand)son/daughter … (Grand)Mother/(Grand)son/daughter Doubles. A-B-C events.
• Sunday, Dec. 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Luck of the Draw Doubles. A-B-C events. All players sign up individually, and you are drawn a player of equal ability to be your partner.
The following tournaments normally take place on a Thursday/Friday through Sunday basis, with the deadline to join about two weeks in advance. Call the phone number listed below for more information.
Weekend Tournaments in Northern Arizona
May 4-8, Sedona Senior Open. Sedona Racquet Club.. MW 30-80sd, MX 30-65d. 520-282-2060.
May 26-28, Memorial Day NTRP Tournament. Prescott Racquet Club. 778-0708.
July 12-15, Junior Satellite Tennis Tournament. Prescott Racquet Club. 778-0708. (There are 12 Junior Satellite tournaments, one each month at a different club. Call (602) 957-3311 for more information).
Sept. 1-3, Labor Day NTRP Open. Prescott Racquet Club. 778-0708.
Oct. 2-5, Yavapai County NTRP Tennis Championships. RRTC. 778-7071. A Pro-Am will also be run as a fund-raiser for the Prescott Area Tennis Association.
If you're interested in competitive play within your ability level and age, you will have to most likely spend a bit of driving time going down to the Phoenix/Tucson area. The junior functions in Northern Arizona have been listed above.
• Greater Phoenix Junior Satellite Tennis Tournaments – (602) 957-3311 or www.phoenixtennis.com: These monthly tournaments are in age categories 10, 12, 16 and 18's and are for juniors that have not made the quarters or better in sanctioned tournaments. It gives the up and comers a chance to be successful in competitive play. They also guarantee the players at least two matches.
For junior or adult/senior ranking sanctioned tournaments in the Southwest Section or State, and a schedule of events call 480-947-1102 or visit www.usta.com/southwest.
USA League Senior & Adult Team Information
• If you are a man or woman 50 years of age or more and function at a 3.0 level or better, you might be interested in playing on a USA Senior League Team. They are currently being formulated. The format is three doubles teams played for each month.
The deadline for senior team registration and captains' meeting is Feb. 9. Local play begins the week of March 5 and ends the week of May 6.
• If you are a man or woman 19 years and older and function at a 2.5 level or better, you might be interested in playing on an USA Adult League Team. They are also currently being formulated. The format consists of two singles and three doubles teams per match.
The deadline for adult team registration is April 6 and local play begins May 7 and ends the week of July 8.
You must be a USTA member, have a current NTRP rating and the cost to join the league is $18.
Call 778-7071 if you'd like to play some league team tennis, or for more information.
(Chris Howard is a local USTPA tennis professional with over 25 years in the fitness industry).