PRESCOTT — In recent years, the Prescott volleyball program has been one of the most competitive in the 4A ranks, consistently qualifying for the state tournament and, on occasion, advancing deep into the bracket.
PRESCOTT VALLEY — Bradshaw Mountain’s volleyball team may have finished the 2017 season with a 7-10 overall record in power-point matches, but the Bears were squarely on the postseason bubble with a No. 25 ranking.
Junior College Soccer
PRESCOTT — On the 30th anniversary of the Yavapai College men’s soccer program this fall, the Roughriders will certainly attempt to replicate what they’ve achieved so many times in the past – win championships.
CHINO VALLEY — While the Chino Valley football team has gotten better and better in recent years — going 4-6 last year — this is the do or die season, said Cougars’ head coach Wade Krug.
PRESCOTT — Milton Rodgers had 30 carries for 186 yards and a touchdown, quarterback Adryan Lara threw for two more scores and Desert Edge outscored Prescott 14-0 in the second half in a 40-17 win Friday night.
GOODYEAR — Before Friday’s Week 1 game, Bradshaw Mountain football coach Chuck Moller described opponent Estrella Foothills as “very much a mirror image” of his 2018 Bears.
ELFRIDA — Defending state semifinalist Bagdad rolled to a 66-0 victory over Valley Union in the opening week of the 2018 football season for 1A.
SPRING VALLEY — Playing host to the 2017 state runner-up for 1A in its 2018 season opener, Mayer’s football team simply couldn’t match Superior in a 50-0 setback Friday night at Mathern Field.
PRESCOTT — The journey toward qualifying for a 4A state playoff spot for the first time in six years begins tonight for the Prescott football team as the Badgers host Desert Edge.
PRESCOTT VALLEY — Bradshaw Mountain’s football team has been raring to go for Week 1 of the 2018 season since last winter.
PRESCOTT — Prescott head coach Michael Gilpin summed it up best when he said, “We seem to have this conversation every year,” when asked Thursday during practice if the Badgers can finally get over the hump this season and make the playoffs for the first time since 2012.
PRESCOTT VALLEY — Was the 2017 season a mere aberration for Bradshaw Mountain football? From 2013 through 2016, the Bears qualified for the state playoffs, winning section/region titles in three of those four seasons.
What follows is the Courier sports department’s selections for the 2018 Spring All-Courier Team.
PRESCOTT VALLEY — After starting last season 0-5 under a new coach, the Bradshaw Mountain football team finished strong, going 4-1 in the last five weeks of the season, including four straight wins.
PRESCOTT — The Prescott athletic department and its Hall of Fame committee officially announced that Nathan Howard, John Middlemore, Eric Fogler and the 1990-91 girls basketball team will be inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in September.
PRESCOTT VALLEY — The past two seasons were unsettling for the Bradshaw Mountain boys’ basketball team, as the proud program quickly regressed from a state-playoff qualifier in 2016 to a doormat.
PRESCOTT — Arizona National Softball Association’s (NSA) 2018 season ends with an exclamation point on Saturday and Sunday, July 28 and 29, as 36 girls’ fast-pitch softball teams converge on Prescott Parks and Rec’s fields for the annual Monsoon Madness/Best of the West tournament.
TEMPE — Riley Lewis’ 7-under par 64 on day one of the 2018 Arizona Junior Masters Invitational set him up for a tournament victory after turning in an even-par 71 on day two of the tournament in Tempe on Wednesday afternoon.
PHOENIX — The annual Sollenberger Classic on the campus of Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff has been cancelled due to scheduling issues, the Arizona Interscholastic Association announced Thursday morning.
SHOW LOW — With training camp underway this week, Prescott’s athletic department officially released its 2018 football schedule Tuesday morning.
MESA — Prescott Little League’s 11-and-Under All-Stars will have had three weeks to prepare for the Arizona state tournament by the time the team battles the winner of Monday night’s first-round game — that pits Mt. Graham versus McCormick Ranch — in the quarterfinals on Tuesday, July 17.
CHINO VALLEY — Marty Campitelli officially succeeded the departed Pete Jelovic as Chino Valley athletic director/assistant principal on July 1, and he has spent nearly the past two weeks getting accustomed to his new role.
Prep Track and Field
PRESCOTT VALLEY – Bradshaw Mountain standout sprinter Charles Nnantah rallied to place fifth in the open 400-meter run with a personal-record time (PR) of 51.47 seconds, qualifying him for the USA Track & Field (USATF) Junior Olympic National Championships July 23-29 in Greensboro, North Carolina.
PRESCOTT VALLEY — Bradshaw Mountain softball star centerfielder and slugger extraordinaire Madisen Duryea this past week earned a spot on the 2018 MaxPreps Sophomore All-America Team for her record-breaking spring season in a Bears uniform.
Local Sports in Brief
Bradshaw Mountain High School will conduct a summer volleyball camp for girls and boys across the quad-city area from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, July 9, through Thursday, July 12, at Gary Kunow Gym on the school’s campus in Prescott Valley.
- Virus affecting deer in Yavapai Hills area near Prescott
- Whispering Rock subdivision gets Prescott Council approval
- Former Prescott pastor faces new child molestation and abuse charges, held on $1M bond
- Sheriff’s Office seeking Prescott man in connection with aggravated assault
- Need2Know: Land development allowed adjacent to ERAU; Dutch Bros opens in Prescott; PV pizza place; Talking Glass
- Large police presence at Prescott High School; campus surrounded
- Local military family grieves loss of twin brothers, both victims of suicides
- Large police presence at Prescott High School; law enforcement clearing campus
- Bodies of 4 men in ATV crash off an Arizona cliff recovered
- Police search for armed person at Prescott High School, turn up nothing
- Prescott High student’s gunshot death double tragedy
- Authorities investigating shooting death of PHS student
- Update: SR 89 reopens after fatal crash north of Chino Valley
- One killed in plane crash north of Prescott Airport
- 22-year-old mother dead after multiple-vehicle crash on State Route 260
- Virus affecting deer in Yavapai Hills area near Prescott
- Plane crashes at Prescott Airport; no signs of life
- Two adults, one child killed in Highway 89 crash
- 3 teenagers arrested for firing gun in Prescott Valley’s Fain Park
- Need2Know: Dunkin’ Donuts; luxury apartments coming; Burlington; King Kong gone?; Sushi; Raven Café; and Dollar General